Breaking News

Mihaela Buzărnescu Working on PhD in Sports Science

Former World No. 20 Mihaela Buzărnescu, of Romania, says she is looking at new opportunities beyond tennis thanks to her PhD in Sports Science, in the latest Behind the Racquet post.

Buzărnescu, who has won one singles and one doubles title on the WTA Tour, says, "For me, I enjoyed discovering another side of myself, another personality. I like understanding more about the world, in order to share with others. I don’t think many people would think I would be where I am now, but my PhD in Sports Science has opened up new opportunities. Injuries are never easy to deal with, as it takes away from your tennis, but it gave me a chance to study. Many tennis players don’t ever have a chance to see the other side because of people around them. There is always an idea that school is something you can come back to if your tennis career doesn’t work out. They feel that if you just stay focused on only tennis that’s the way to succeed, but it’s not always true. With my education I have interacted with so many different people, on different levels, in so many different fields, that I would never have had without it. Through my education it has allowed me to believe in myself more than ever. I can only picture myself playing another four or five years on tour. It may seem funny but after it’s done I want to travel as much as I can for a year. People think that through tennis you get to see the world but you are spending most time on court or at hotel. Every once in a while you can sightsee on a day off but for the most part tennis players are very disciplined. We don’t have the luxury to lose track of time, or get lost at night, there is just so much more to see. For my last few years I truly hope to see a little change for women on tour. The atmosphere needs to improve in tennis. It seems that everything and everyone is too strict. I understand how important the competition is but these people are basically the same players we are with all year round. We see them more than we see our own families. If the atmosphere was a bit more chill and relaxing it would be more enjoyable for everyone. The idea that friendships should be made is lost on a lot of people. There are times where we all need to open up, whether it is serious or to just laugh with someone, and because of the atmosphere we do not feel comfortable. It will take some time but there is a need for change. It seems that the men have come further with relaxing and socializing while the woman make it harder. With an individual sport like tennis you are thrown into a world where it is only you and your team. You are influenced by what they say more than anyone else. With the environment changing I think we can all do better with speaking up for ourselves and saying what we need. You should consider your own thoughts before anyone else."

Buzărnescu says she also wants to help children in Romania with opportunities she never had, "I want to help kids in Romania have the opportunities I never had. Growing up we never had a club where we could improve on the court with coaches and of the court with a rehab clinic. Thankfully tennis has evolved to a place which is forcing growth."

The 31 year old Buzărnescu is now ranked No. 117 in the world rankings and has not played since the Tashkent Open in September.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2wqHg6R

No comments