Breaking News

Omar Jasika aims to begin comeback from drugs ban in Geelong

2014 US Open boys' singles champion Omar Jasika has announced that he is planning to make a comeback to tennis after a two-year absence. 

Jasika, 22, was one of the most promising players from his generation as he also won the 2014 US Open boys' doubles title with Haoki Nakagawa. 

The Australian became the first player in 28 years to win both the boys’ singles and doubles events at Flushing Meadows but he struggled with his transition from junior to professional tour. 

Former world No. 239 Jasika last played in March 2018 as he received a two-year ban after testing positive for cocaine in December 2017. 

"This year I’m hoping to take one step forward and make a name for myself. I think everyone needs some time off, especially when you’re playing a sport for so long. I think it’s been good for me to understand how much I actually missed the sport," Jasika said on The First Serve.

"It’s not easy being a tennis player. There’s more to it. As long as you stick to it, good things will come I think. It’s going to be difficult for me to try and step up to these big boys now but hopefully I can get there soon."

The 22-year-old Australian is targeting to make a comeback at a Futures event in Australia. 

"I’m hoping to get into Geelong. It’s been a while since I’ve played on the grass. I think I’m hitting the ball well, it’s just fitness wise I’ve got to get better. I’m just eager to get out there and play to be honest," Jasika revealed.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2VDJwSB

No comments