Breaking News

Coco Gauff: "John Isner is a bigger inspiration than me"

Cori Gauff is considered the brightest promise of women's tennis. The young American tennis player seems destined to take the legacy of Serena and Venus Williams and many insiders are sure that she will become the next World number 1.

Gauff made her WTA Tour debut in March 2019 at the Miami Open and won her opening match. She received a wild card into the qualifying draw at the 2019 Wimbledon Championships where she became the youngest player in the tournament's history to qualify for the main draw. She reached the fourth round of the event, and each of her matches was the most-watched of the day in the United States. Gauff would later reach the third round of the 2019 US Open, and the fourth round of the 2020 Australian Open.

Gauff's tennis idols are Serena and Venus Williams. "Serena Williams has always been my idol...and Venus," she has said. "They are the reason why I wanted to pick up a tennis racket." Gauff first met Serena when she won the Little Mo national tournament at the age of eight, and later met her again to film a commercial for Delta Airlines and at the Mouratoglou Academy.

After defeating Venus at Wimbledon in 2019, Coco commended Venus when they shook hands at the net. "I was just telling her thank you for everything she's done for the sport," Coco said. "She's been an inspiration for many people. I was just really telling her thank you."

Coco also looks up to the American number one tennis player on the men’s track, John Isner. “Well, John Isner is amazing. I mean, I’ve met him a couple of times. He’s really nice. I mean, I would want to watch him play. He’s great. Honestly, he’s the No. 1 American. He’s a big inspiration for a lot of people, probably more than me,” Coco Gauff shared during the US Open 2019.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2yjcJc6

No comments