Breaking News

Serena Williams: "I don’t play just to have fun"

Over the past few years, Serena Williams has racked up bad defeats and even sometimes bad figures often caused by a disappointing physical condition. At 38, it is now difficult for her to fight and win against young tennis players.

The former World number 1 holds the most Grand Slam titles in singles, doubles, and mixed doubles combined among active players. Her 39 Grand Slam titles put her joint-third on the all-time list and second in the Open Era: 23 in singles, 14 in women's doubles, and two in mixed doubles.

She is the most recent female player to have held all four Grand Slam singles titles simultaneously (2002–03 and 2014–15) and the third player to achieve this twice, after Rod Laver and Graf. She is also the most recent player to have won a Grand Slam title on each surface (hard, clay and grass) in one calendar year (2015). She is also, together with her older sister Venus, the most recent player to have held all four Grand Slam women's doubles titles simultaneously (2009–10).

“I definitely do believe or I wouldn’t be on tour. I don’t play just to have fun. To lose is really not fun, to play to lose, personally. I don’t know. I seem to do well the last two slams of the year" - said the 23-time Grand Slam champion.

Serena does believe that she still has the capability. “I have won them all several times. Each one is definitely an opportunity for me to go out there and win. It’s not even about the slams, it’s about just me playing good tennis, and I didn’t do that today. That is more disappointing. So it’s not even about the win, it’s just more about I’m better than that. That is what it is for me today.”



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2XMVlqH

No comments