Breaking News

Halep: 'It's strange not to know when we will be able to play tournaments again'

There has been much talk in recent weeks about the initiatives through which numerous players are trying to help their country in this difficult time. Confined to Romania where the measures adopted are very restrictive, Simona Halep has reflected on what the world of tennis is experiencing in a more uncertain historical phase than ever.

"I believe that if we are playing tennis again in September we have already won, because it means the threat of the virus will be over," the former World number 1 said to CNN. "We can only dream of playing a grand slam at this point, but I support the tournament and of course I will look forward to playing if we can. It's definitely strange not to know when we will be able to play tournaments again. Which surface will we play on? In which country? There are no answers right now, so it's difficult to plan ahead."

When the lockdown was announced, the two-time Grand Slam champion was at her country club home in Bucharest, recovering from injury. "I am fortunate in a sense, because the situation with Covid-19 started just as I was struggling with a foot injury. So this extra time off has given me the opportunity to heal my foot properly and take time to work on my recovery, rather than worry about missing too many tournaments.

I am in contact with my fitness trainer all the time and obviously my coaches Darren [Cahill] and Arti [Apostu-Efremov], too. I have not hit any balls yet but hopefully that will come soon when the situation becomes clearer and the restrictions begin to lift. It has been a scary situation here in Romania.

I try not to watch too much or read too much in the news as I find it very worrying; I prefer to focus on helping where I can. And playing my part by staying inside, and of course staying positive and strong" - she added.  



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2Y6Uul1

No comments