Breaking News

Nicola Pietrangeli Hopes To Award the Trophy at Roland Garros in September

Former French Open champion Nicola Pietrangeli says that  he had received an invitation from the organizers of the Roland Garros to award the champion of the men's singles tournament this year on the occasion of the 60th anniversary of his win in 1960 and he hopes that he will get the chance once again if the tournament is held in September.

Speaking to Corriere della Sera, the 86 year old Pietrangeli says, "And to think that I had already received a letter from the organization, I would have rewarded the winner " to commemorate the 60 years since his second success. " I hope I can go the same, maybe in September when this torment will end."

Speaking about the Italian Open event, Pietrangeli says he would rather not have the tournament played away from Rome,  "I would prefer to skip a year than to play away from Rome. I read about Milan and Turin as alternatives even indoors, but to bring a tournament with so many players to another place, a structure with ten, twelve fields would be needed. Playing a tournament, like the US Open, behind closed doors would be the signal that you are only looking for money."

The two-time French Open champion says that he has been at home during the quarantine period - watching a lot of Netflix. “Circulation, family, normality. I try to remember my life so as not to get bored, and I think that who has no regrets is an imbecile .I think back on the mistakes made, sometimes giving a head over the wall. The sporting regret is that I didn't win Wimbledon ; and then leaving Roland Garros for a few days to witness the birth of my son.  The desire to go home was incredible."



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3eztAaZ

No comments