Breaking News

Philipp Kohlschreiber: I don't want to end my career this way

The 36-year-old Philipp Kohlschreiber is not ready to end his career during the coronavirus crisis, eager to return to the court once the pandemic is over. Like all the other players, the German is spending most of his time at home in Augsburg, waiting for some positive news about the restart of the season that has been halted since Indian Wells, with no tournaments at least until the second part of July, but probably for much longer. Aware of the global aspect of our sport, Philipp admitted that the coronavirus caused significant damage for the entire organization and all the players, leaving them with no job or the possibility to train as they usually do.

The veteran got permission to work on the practice court but he spends days with his wife, finding time for each other and experiencing normal life they couldn't afford before the coronavirus break due to constant traveling. Ranked inside the top-100 for more than 14 years, Philipp has won 470 ATP matches so far, winning eight ATP titles from 18 finals and securing 25 top-10 victories from massive 125 encounters against the rivals from the top! Starting the previous season from inside the top-35, Kohlschreiber lost ground to drop out from the top-70 by the summer, entering Challengers for the first time since 2014 and doing his best to at least stay in the top-100. 

"Out professional has been brutally hit by this crisis, with tennis being a global sport. I make short walks with my dog and if this goes on for another three or four months, I will have to discuss my fitness practices with my coach and physio. The effects of the virus are terrible but I'm trying to enjoy a normal life with my wife, something we never had before. I will not retire during the coronavirus break; I'm eager to get back to the court and extend my career."



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2RHyyZD

No comments