Breaking News

In Rafael Nadal's words: 'I'm capable of playing well on every surface'

Rafael Nadal needed 14 months to gain some 160 positions on the ATP ranking list, standing just outside the top-200 at the beginning of 2003 and entering Indian Wells and Miami a year later from the top-40. At the beginning of 2004, Rafa played in his first ATP final in Auckland and reached the third round at the Australian Open before earning the first Davis Cup triumph. With a few more wins in the upcoming events, the young Spaniard came to Miami where he stunned world no. 1 Roger Federer 6-3, 6-3 in 70 minutes, producing fantastic tennis that left the Swiss with no answer.

Federer wasn't at his best after winning Indian Wells in the previous week but we can't take anything away from Nadal who did everything right on the court, landing 81% of the first serve in and never facing a break point. With a room to push hard on the return, the 17-year-old created seven opportunities and converted three to control the scoreboard all the time and advance into the last 16. Taming his shots nicely, Rafa was able to dictate the exchanges and impose his strokes, exploiting Roger's backhand and staying focused from start to finish to earn a notable victory over the rival who became world no. 1 less than two months ago.

"I'm trying to hit my serve harder in every match; that's the way to improve my game and be more aggressive. I have changed my movement a little bit to step in and go for the shots. Last week against Calleri, I didn't serve well in the closing stages and I lost. I always said that I'm a type of player capable of performing well on every surface. I have been playing well on clay because I grew up on it, but also on grass and outdoor hard courts. I didn't play well indoors last year but mostly because I was tired, being my first season on the ATP Tour." 



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2wMtonW

No comments