Breaking News

Rafter: "Roger Federer was mentally immature early in his career"

Patrick Rafter ended his career in 2001, a few years before the era of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic. The three-year period from 1997 to 1999 was the highest point of the Australian's career, capable of winning the US Open twice, becoming the number 1 in the world and triumphing in double at the Australian Open.

Two-time Grand Slam winner says there is no doubt that Pete Sampras, who won 14 majors before hanging up his racket, was the stand-out player during their heydays.

“The toughest player I played against was definitely Pete Sampras – he did everything I did, only better,” he told Eurosport. “His record was the best so there’s no doubt about it Sampras the stand-out. I enjoyed playing Andre Agassi the most – I thought we had a really good battle, I really enjoyed playing him.”

When asked about the cry baby comment, the Australian replied: “I can’t remember the exact words, but we had a run-in in Cincinnati one year – I probably told him to grow up. He cracked it when I beat him one time. But that was back in the old days, emotions were running high and don’t take it personally. It’s all good.”

On which players he would like to have played from the current era, he added: “No-one! Someone like Djokovic would make my life miserable. He returns too well. Someone like Rafa, I reckon I could get two and two [6-2, 6-2] in my heyday, on the fastest court you have ever seen. They are two of the best players I have ever seen. Roger still had too much respect for the big ones and was mentally immature, which suited me."



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/34xvFzF

No comments