Breaking News

Marseille Tournament Director backs down: I am nobody to criticize Novak Djokovic

Marseille Tournament Director Jean-Francois Caujolle says he went too far in criticizing world No. 1 Novak Djokovic after four players who participated at the Adria Tour tested positive for the coronavirus.

The Adria Tour -- an event founded by Djokovic -- featured packed crowds and there wasn't too much of social distancing as players shook hands and hugged. 

The event got called off after Djokovic, Grigor Dimitrov, Borna Coric and Viktor Troicki tested positive for the coronavirus.

For the events that happened at the Adria Tour, 17-time Grand Slam champion Djokovic received the most blame and criticism.

One of his biggest critics was Marseille Tournament Director Caujolle, who said, per Sportskeeda:  "It reminds me of the parable of the Tower of Babel, where the people wanted to rise as high as the gods," Caujolle had said. "One has the impression that Djokovic thought himself above certain laws of nature...He imposes on others a form of mental pressure. He is someone who can be harmful.

"Today, he is not the tennis icon. If Federer or Nadal had done that, it would have had even more impact. But Federer or Nadal would not have done it."

'I am nobody to criticize Novak Djokovic'

Caujolle thinks he went to far in criticizing the world No. 1 as he told L'Equipe, as revealed on Sportskeeda: "That I can condemn what happened in Zadar makes sense. However, I should not have gone that far regarding Novak. I am nobody to criticize him. This is all the more true since we have a lot in common. I am also a 'fan' of readings regarding personal development. So I regret what I could say because it is confusing. You can think that I think Novak Djokovic is an enlightened human being.

"Afterwards, to come back to this case, I am not trying to catch up with these words because it is clear that there was a fault in Croatia. However, this should not be the trial of the world No. 1. By offering a fairly harsh analysis of his personality, I went on to do so. In hindsight, I tell myself that this is not like me. That is why I wanted to make this point."

Earlier this week, Sport Klub reported that record eight-time Australian Open champion Djokovic and his wife Jelena were recovering well from the coronavirus and showing no symptoms.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3gmBO6F

No comments