Breaking News

Roger Federer's Wimbledon wins - No. 31 vs. Jonas Bjorkman

In 2006, Roger Federer was on a mission towards the fourth straight Wimbledon crown. World no. 1 came to London after another title in Halle and there was no one to beat him in the first five matches, barely losing serve and ousting all the rivals in three sets. In the semis, Roger stormed over the Swedish veteran Jonas Bjorkman, the oldest Wimbledon semi-finalist since Jimmy Connors in 1987. The Swiss needed 77 minutes to notch a 6-2, 6-0, 6-2 triumph, delivering one of the most one-sided Wimbledon semi-final encounter and tenth straight-sets triumph at the All England Club. Serving at 73%, Roger lost 13 points in 11 service games, never facing a break point and dominating on the return to secure seven breaks and control the pace from start to finish. Jonas and Roger had practiced before many times but there was nothing the Swede could do against the mighty opponent, suffering the first break in the third game and losing the opener in 27 minutes. In the second set, Federer was even more brutal, delivering a bagel in just over 20 minutes and sealing the deal with a double break in set number three to book the place in the fourth straight Wimbledon final.

"It was a perfect match for me.

I had high expectations before we started, and I'm pleased with the level I produced today.

In one way, it's great to score a win like this, feeling so good on the court. It's not easy to maintain that level throughout the best-of-five encounter but I achieved that. You don't get a chance to stay on this level for the entire match and the feeling is excellent, especially when you score such a commanding victory in the Major semi-final. Jonas didn't play that bad, no crazy mistakes or things like that. He simply came up short, unable to perform better. At 34, Jonas looks fit as ever, playing a lot of tournaments in both singles and doubles. It would be nice to face Rafael Nadal or Marcos Baghdatis, whoever wins the second semi-final. Marcos and I were the rivals in the final of the Australian Open but I would like to play again against Rafa. It would be a completely different match against Nadal, who is a left-hander. He covers the court nicely and I will try to find an open space and place winners. I have to forget the last couple of matches, or even the entire tournament so far. The final is always very different, as the pressure makes it tougher. I will do my best to defend the title, although it should be a much closer battle than today. I know I can beat Nadal; I'm confident. I have to focus on my style of play and to stay aggressive. It should be easier to achieve than in comparison to clay," Roger Federer said.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2YSG7R4

No comments