Breaking News

Milos Raonic to Novak Djokovic: What is that, 23-0?

Canadian tennis star Milos Raonic appeared to be impressed by world No. 1 Novak Djokovic start to the season. 

Djokovic, seeded at No. 1, recovered from a set down in the Cincinnati Masters final to beat former world No. 3 Raonic 1-6 6-3 6-4. 

Djokovic has now won all of his 23 matches played this season and he has captured a total of four titles. 

Raonic was aiming to lift his maiden Masters 1000 title but he ended up falling just short once again as he is now 0-4 in Masters finals.

After easily losing the first set, Djokovic started winning his service games and claimed the lone break of the second set to force a third set.

In the decider, Djokovic lost the opening two games of the set before he claimed back-to-back breaks to win the set and complete a comeback.

"What is that, 23-0?" Raonic asked Djokovic during the trophy ceremony, per the ATP website. "Honestly if I start the year off 3-0, I'm pretty happy."

"It's great to have tennis back after such a long lay-off around the world, being devastated by COVID. It's great to have a lot of sports back and I'm wishing all the best to the people that were most closely affected by it all over the world, wherever they may be. I keep them in my prayers."

Going unbeatable for the year remains a possibility for Djokovic 

After claiming a round-of-16 win over Tennys Sandgren, Djokovic didn't rule out finishing the season without a loss.

"Look, anything is possible. I have experienced some things in my career, in my life, that I have to say I believed that they can happen, but, you know, they were not seeming so possible but yet they happened," Djokovic said.

"I don't want to count that out, I mean, especially because of the fact that we are -- we don't know how the post-U.S. tour season is going to look like, whether we are going to play, whether there is going to be another lockdown in Europe or not. We are hoping not. 

"But, yeah, I mean, it's a long way. If the calendar is as it is, you know, look, it's not -- right now it's not something I'm thinking about. It's not my goal, actually, to go unbeaten, but I wouldn't complain if I do (smiling)."



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2Dc96Y4

No comments