Breaking News

Rafael Nadal: I was watching golf when Novak Djokovic got disqualified from US Open

World No. 2 Rafael Nadal revealed he was watching golf when Serbian tennis superstar Novak Djokovic got disqualified from the US Open and he instantly started receiving messages.

Djokovic's bid to claim an 18th Grand Slam title at this past US Open came to an end after he got disqualified from his round-of-16 match following the ball hit on the lines woman. 

Djokovic didn't intentionally hit the lines woman and, after 10 minutes of deliberating, the chair umpire had no other choice but to disqualify the Serb. 

"I was watching golf at home when Djokovic was DQ from the US Open. People started sending me messages. When I saw the moment, I thought he was out. The rule is clear. It was very unlucky," Nadal said, per Jose Morgado.

Nadal, a big football fan, was happy to see football star Gerard Pique investing in tennis. 

"Very grateful that someone like Piqué decided to invest in my sport. There is a lot of politics in the middle but I think he did a very good job with the Davis Cup Finals," Nadal said.

Nadal says winning 24 Grand Slams is something he'd sign now 

After beating Djokovic in the French Open final, Nadal claimed a record 13th title at Roland Garros and equaled Roger Federer on the all-time Grand Slam record list with 20 Majors. 

Journalist made a prediction that Nadal would finish the career with 24 Grand Slams, Djokovic with 22 and Federer with 21. 

"I would sign that right now. But that's not my prediction," Nadal responded.

After equaling Federer's record, the Swiss congratulated Nadal.

"I have always had the utmost respect for my friend Rafa as a person and as a champion. As my greatest rival over many years, I believe we have pushed each other to become better players,” Federer wrote on Twitter. “Therefore, it is a true honour for me to congratulate him on his 20th Grand Slam victory. is especially amazing that he has now won Roland Garros an incredible 13 times, which is one of the greatest achievements in sport. I also congratulate his team, because nobody can do this alone. I hope 20 is just another step on the continuing journey for both of us. Well done, Rafa. You deserve it.”

Nadal was grateful for the message Federer sent.

"Thanks to Roger for the words. As everybody knows, we have a very, very good relationship. We respect each other a lot," Nadal said. "In some ways, I think he's happy when I'm winning and I'm happy when he's doing things well. In some way for me it means a lot, the positive relationship that we have together, because we have been going through a great rivalry for a very, very long time."



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/31RJE3m

No comments