Breaking News

Daniil Medvedev: I complained to my wife about my bad form before Paris Masters

Top-ranked Russian tennis player Daniil Medvedev didn't hide his happiness after winning the Paris Masters as he was "desperate" to finally win a title this season. 

Medvedev, who made nine finals last season and claimed four titles, reached his first final of this season in Paris and ended up victorious as he recovered from a set down to beat world No. 7 Alexander Zverev 5-7 6-4 6-1. 

"It is great. I am really happy,” Medvedev said in an on-court interview, as quoted on the ATP website. “I don’t show this after the match, but I am really happy to win matches. Before the tournament, I was not in my best form, playing not so bad with zero finals this year. I was complaining to my wife like, ‘Oh my god, I don’t have the level. I don’t even have one final. I am playing so bad.’ Finally, I am the winner of Bercy, a tournament that I love.”

Medvedev refused to quit 

Zverev, seeded at No. 4, came up big in the key moments of the first set as he broke Medvedev in the 12th game to claim the first break of the match and win a tight opener. 

Medvedev earned his first break of the match in the ninth game of the second set, before successfuly serving out for the set a game later.

After losing the second set, Zverev's game fell apart as the Russian claimed three breaks in the third set to complete a comeback. 

"I was playing really good in this tournament, especially today,” Medvedev added. “After the first set, I could [have] given up because Sascha was serving well and playing well. I just stayed there and at one moment I raised my level higher and higher and started to put pressure on him and it worked. It broke his level a little bit.”

After failing to win the Paris Masters, Zverev showed his class and spoke highly of Medvedev. 

Zverev, the 2018 Nitto ATP Finals, now turns his focus to the season-ending event.

"Credit to him. He's a great player,” Zverev said. “It's his first tournament win of the season. I know his season wasn't the easiest one, whereas I have to say my season [has] actually [been] going quite well.

“We will see how it goes with London. I'm happy with my tennis. I just need to maybe recover a little bit physically.”



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2JRaxhH

No comments