Breaking News

Daniil Medvedev: If Diego Schwartzman has problems with me, I understand

Russian tennis star Daniil Medvedev claims he has no problems with Diego Schwartzman but he understands if the top-ranked Argentine tennis player has problems with him. 

Medvedev, ranked at No. 5 in the world, defeated Schwartzman 6-4 4-6 6-3 at the inaugural ATP Cup earlier this year. 

At the end of the first set, Medvedev and Schwartzman got into a heated exchange at the net but it was unclear what the two said to each other. 

Chair umpire handed Medvedev a code violation for unsportsmanlike conduct and the Russian lashed out on the umpire's chair twice since Schwartzman he was the only one to receive a warning. 

On Friday, Medvedev and Schwartzman will meet once again when they clash in the Paris Masters quarterfinal.

Medvedev recovered from a set down to beat rising Australian star Alex de Minaur, while Schwartzman saw off Alejandro Davidovich Fokina.

"Talking about ATP Cup [...] if you watch the match closely, 2nd and 3rd set I was sometimes applauding Diego for great shots [...]. Of course, I understand why he was angry with me," Medvedev said when asked about his relationship with Schwartzman, per Nikolaus Fink.

"If he has problems with me, I understand it, I will not fight against it. But again, I think the relationship is going better and better. But it's better to ask Diego [...] because I have no problems with him."

Schwartzman told Medvedev honestly how he felt 

"I told Medvedev at the net that he is a great player, but as a person needs to change a lot. He is very disrespectful on the court and does things that he doesn’t need to do," Schwartzman revealed earlier this year. 

Meanwhile, Medvedev tried to downplay the whole incident.

"Nothing happened to the chair, nothing happened to anybody, I didn’t break my racquet,” Medvedev said after the ATP Cup match.

"I would say I got a code violation. I will get a fine. Usually, when you get a code violation you get a fine for a code violation. I don’t think there is anything else to do.”

A lot will be at stake when Medvedev and Schwartzman clash at the Paris Masters. 

No. 6 seed Schwartzman needs a win to secure a place for the Nitto ATP Finals.

Meanwhile, Medvedev will make it past Roger Federer at No. 4 in the world if he beats Schwartzman.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3k3D4No

No comments