Breaking News

Daniil Medvedev 'thrilled' with his performance against Diego Schwartzman at Paris

World No. 5 Daniil Medvedev was extremely satisfied with the way he played against No. 6 seed Diego Schwartzman at the Paris Masters.

Medvedev, seeded at No. 3, demolished world No. 9 Schwartzman 6-3 6-1 to make his maiden semifinal at Bercy. 

Schwartzman served out the opening game of the match, before Medvedev claimed two breaks to easily win the first set.

The two players were tied at 1-1 after the opening two games of the second set but then Medvedev claimed back-to-back breaks and won five games in a row to finish the match in style. 

"It was a good match," Medvedev said after the match, per the ATP website. "I kept my level high and he made some errors, which gave me control of the match. It didn't feel like a short match, as there are always rallies with Diego. I'm happy to have won quickly today. I'm pleased to have gone deep in Paris, as it will help for the [Nitto ATP Finals] in London. I produced some good tennis today."

Medvedev was thrilled, Schwartzman not very much 

Schwartzman, who would have sealed a Nitto ATP Finals spot with a win over Medvedev, admitted he wasn't happy at all with the way he performed against the Russian.

"It's disappointing (his loss in quarters vs Medvedev. I was not good, a lot of mistakes. Horrible match today," Schwartzman said after the match, per Tennis Majors.

The match went well and Medvedev and Schwartzman shook hands at the net after the match. 

Earlier this year, Medvedev and Schwartzman clashed at the ATP Cup and the two players exchanged words at the net towards the end of the first set. 

Speaking of his relationship with Schwartzman before their match, Medvedev said: "Talking about ATP Cup [...] if you watch the match closely, 2nd and 3rd set I was sometimes applauding Diego for great shots [...]. Of course, I understand why he was angry with me. If he has problems with me, I understand it, I will not fight against it. But again, I think the relationship is going better and better. But it's better to ask Diego [...] because I have no problems with him."

Medvedev plays next against 2016 Wimbledon runner-up Milos Raonic, who edged out home favorite Ugo Humbert in a tight three-setter.

Medvedev, who had an outstanding 2019 season, is aiming to win his first title of the 2020 season this week.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3p7KVxe

No comments