Breaking News

Diego Schwartzman: All good between me and Daniil Medvedev despite ATP Cup incident

Top-ranked Argentine Diego Schwartzman insists it's all good between him and Daniil Medvedev ahead of their Paris Masters clash. 

Schwartzman, seeded at No. 6, dominated Alejandro Davidovich Fokina 6-1 6-1 to set up a quarterfinal clash against Medvedev, who recovered from a set down to beat Alex de Minaur.

Earlier this year, Medvedev edged out Schwartzman in three sets at the ATP Cup.

At the end of the first set, Schwartzman and Medvedev got into a heated exchange at the net. 

It was unclear what the two two said to each other but chair umpire gave Medvedev a code violation for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Schwartzman didn't receive a warning and Medvedev lashed out at the umpire's chair twice. 

"I think he did a mistake [...] in the ATP Cup and maybe he understood that. We have just a relation between two guys who are playing the tour," Schwartzman said of his relationship with Medvedev, per Nikolaus Fink.

"We say hello in the morning, good morning, good afternoon, and we practiced for a few times after ATP Cup [...]. Not more than that. We are different guys from different parts of the world. We are here with our teams. So our relation, it's okay."

Schwartzman thought Medvedev was being disrespectful 

"I told Medvedev at the net that he is a great player, but as a person needs to change a lot. He is very disrespectful on the court and does things that he doesn’t need to do," Schwartzman revealed earlier this year. 

Meanwhile, Medvedev tried to downplay the whole incident.

"Nothing happened to the chair, nothing happened to anybody, I didn’t break my racquet,” Medvedev said after the ATP Cup match.

"I would say I got a code violation. I will get a fine. Usually, when you get a code violation you get a fine for a code violation. I don’t think there is anything else to do.”

Meanwhile, Schwartzman wished a speedy recovery to Argentina football legend Diego Maradona, who underwent a surgery earlier this week.

"I didn't see (Maradona) play, just on YouTube or videos that I can see on TV and everything, not live, but he's one of my idols, for sure, in football," Schwartzman said of Maradona.

"I love football and he's Argentinian. Everyone knows Argentina because of Maradona. That's why I put 'Fuerza Diego', because he's struggling, he's not healthy right now and he had surgery last night."



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/32hHslE

No comments