Breaking News

Dominic Thiem reveals why he is extremely motivated to play Tokyo Olympics

Austrian tennis star Dominic Thiem is planning on participating at the Tokyo Olympics in 2021 as he is set to make his Olympic debut at the age of 27. 

Thiem, who turned professional in 2011, didn't participate at the 2012 London Olympic and he decided against playing at the 2016 Rio Olympics though he was eligible to play. 

Thiem, who has been working with Nicolas Massu for nearly two years, spoke with his coach and now he wants to experience playing the Olympics and try to win a medal.

"I am going to participate at the Olympic Summer Games in Tokyo starting on July 23!" Thiem said in a post on his website, as quoted on Sky Sports. "I have been thinking about it for a longer period of time, and next year it eventually fits into my tournament schedule.

"I am looking forward to it to compete for a medal. My coach Nicolas Massu won two gold medals in Athens in 2004, he told me about the incredibly wonderful emotions.

"I want to feel these kind of emotions myself. For an athlete the atmosphere at the Olympics must be unique, I want to soak it all up."

Thiem had a big 2020 season 

Thiem, who finished back-to-back runner-up at the French Open in 2018 and 2019, started the 2020 season with a runner-up finish at the Australian Open.

Thiem had a strong end to the season as he claimed his maiden Grand Slam title at the US Open and also finished runner-up to Daniil Medvedev at the Nitto ATP Finals.

"Of course, I am disappointed, but at the same time I am also proud of the performance of all the week. Daniil really deserved it," Thiem said during the trophy ceremony. "[It was an] amazing match. Congratulations for, in general, another great year."

Medvedev recovered from a set down to beat Thiem in the final and later spoke highly of the Austrian.

"What a match. One of my best victories, two hours [and] 42 [minutes], three sets against an amazing player," Medvedev said. "Dominic, congratulations already for what you achieved in your career. Your name is already in the history of tennis books. It is amazing. You won a Grand Slam this year. You are playing unbelievable. I hope we are going to have many more matches to come on the big occasions like this."



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3q2smel

No comments