Breaking News

Juan Martin del Potro: 'Tokyo Olympics give me strength for another comeback'

Former world no. 3 and the US Open champion Juan Martin del Potro had to undergo the third right knee surgery in August following that nasty injury at Queen's 2019! Roger Federer's doctor Ronald Biedert underwent the procedure in Switzerland, staying in touch with Juan Martin since January and recommending another surgery as the pain wouldn't go away. The previous surgery came at the end of January in Miami, and it wasn't enough to see the Argentine back on the court after he felt the pain again on the practice court. Juan Martin had fractured his right kneecap against Borna Coric in Shanghai 2018, returning in Delray Beach last season and playing only five tournaments and 12 matches before experiencing the same injury against Denis Shapovalov at Queen's! Del Potro underwent surgery in Barcelona a couple of days later, hoping to start training as soon as possible.

Returning a couple of months later, the Argentine began with some light preparations, although things haven't worked his way, feeling a constant pain in his knee and having to skip the Australian Open for the fifth time in the last six seasons! Always ready to give his 120% under the national flag, Juan Martin would love to make one last push and try to play the Tokyo Olympics next summer, desperate for another medal after bringing home two in 2012 and 2016.

Juan Martin del Potro would love to compete at the Tokyo Olympics next year.

In his recent interview, Juan Martin said he has been struggling a lot since the latest injury, unable to get back at 100% but still doing everything he can to start competing again. Del Potro never had the opportunity to show his full potential in the long run, experiencing numerous injuries in the previous ten years! Giving his best to extend his career and return where he belongs, the Argentine returned at his best in 2017 and 2018, entering the top-3 for the first time before facing more setbacks that threaten to finish his tennis journey.

"To be honest, it takes a lot for me to make a comeback. It has become very challenging for me, but I'm not ready to give up. I refuse to finish my career outside the court and would love to compete at the Olympic Games in Tokyo next summer. The passion for the game is still here, keeping me motivated despite all the troubles. I changed the way I hit the ball after several wrist injuries, but I can't change how I move to help my knees. Still, the Tokyo Olympics had been moved to 2021 due to the pandemic, and that gave me extra strength to work on my comeback. Maradona was there with us in Zagreb 2016, providing us with positive energy and helping us winning the title. I was visiting him in his room every night for ten minutes; talking to him made me very happy and gave me much strength," Juan Marin del Potro said.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3mfJ9bB

No comments