Breaking News

Sebastian Baez:First Challenger title great motivation to continue achieving my goals

Argentine tennis player Sebastian Baez was in great spirits after lifting his maiden ATP Challenger title in Concepcion last week. 

Baez, who is now enjoying a career-high ranking of No. 254 in the world, edged out Francesco Cerundolo in a tight final 6-3 6-7 (5) 7-6 (5) to win Concepcion. 

''It makes me very happy. I know that I worked very hard with my team for these tournaments, to achieve these goals and objectives. I believe that the road is very long and you need a big boost and a great motivation to continue achieving your goals. I am working with the best people that I can be nowadays and, for that reason, this trophy is also for them. It is an achievement that I share with my entire team, as they are the people that are most important in my career and support me every day,'' Baez told the ATP Challenger website. 

Baez came up big in key moments 

After Baez served out the opening game of the match for a 1-0 lead, seven consecutive breaks of serve were seen as Baez led 5-3 before serving out for the opener in the ninth game. 

After a first set full of breaks, no breaks were seen in the second set and the set had to be resolved in a tie-break. 

In the tie-break, Cerundolo converted his fourth set point to force a decider. 

After failing to serve out for the title in the 10th game of the third set, Cerundolo paid the price as Baez realized his third match point in the tie-break to win Concepcion.

It is always difficult to play against someone you know, especially from your country. We know each other for many years. It also makes you feel more nervous to play matches like this in the final rounds. We know the opponent's weaknesses and strengths. There were nerves, even more being in my first Challenger final, but I was able to overcome them and take the trophy in the end,'' Baez said.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2NSpuSK

No comments