Breaking News

'I can’t just choose one from Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal', says Indian legend

Few would have imagined that Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal would remain competitive until 2020. By winning Roland Garros for the 13th time in his career, the 34-year-old Spaniard has joined the eternal rival at 20 Grand Slams, proving once again to be the bigger than ever on clay. The situation of the Swiss is more complicated, who only played in the Australian Open this year before undergoing surgery on his right knee. The former world number 1 will make his return to the field early next season, although there is no lack of skepticism about his actual chances of winning another Major. The Basel phenomenon was the first to compliment Rafa after his triumph in Paris, providing yet another testimony to the splendid relationship between these two authentic sports legends. As part of the documentary 'Strokes of Genius', which airs on Discovery Plus, Indian badminton superstar PV Sindhu, who is preparing for the upcoming Badminton Asia Tour, was questioned about this epic rivalry.

Sindhu on Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal

"I believe both Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal are legends in their own way and definitely love to see both of them play. I can’t just choose one from both but I think each of them has a different style of play and different game so I would say, both are legends," PV Sindhu said. "I think it’s the greatest rivalry not only in tennis but also globally because they are true champions and they have always inspired us in many ways and I would say it is always a treat for us to watch them play." The Olympic silver medalist also recalled how she closely looked at Nadal's win over the then No. 1 Federer in the Miami Masters 2004. She stated that it came as an aspiration to her, which helped her in defeating Li Xuerui in the quarter-finals of China Masters in 2012. It was the biggest turning point of Sindhu's career as the latter was the Olympic champion at that point. "I was really young then in 2004 in Miami when Nadal won against the then no 1 Federer. When I saw that it inspired me a lot in 2004 when Nadal won against the then world no 1. So, the closest of that for me would be when I won against the Olympic champion Li Xuerui in China Masters in 2012. So yeah, that was the closest for me," she said.

 

from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3p1r6az

No comments