Breaking News

Milos Raonic suggests he may not play much in 2021

Canadian tennis star Milos Raonic has said that he won't play too much in 2021 if the ranking rules remain the same. 

On Saturday, Raonic suffered a straight-set defeat against top-ranked Russian tennis player Daniil Medvedev at the Paris Masters.

Raonic, who was aiming to make his second final of the season, was beaten by No. 3 seed Medvedev 6-4 7-6 (4). 

"If it's like this week in and week out, and you know you're going to have the possibility to play a full season, I'll be playing much less because a lot of things will carry over from this year [...]," Raonic said after losing to Medvedev, per Nikolaus Fink.

"Especially under the conditions of not being able to leave the hotel room [...] It's just not something that's psychologically healthy for me or even just for the soul, and I have to have a little bit of freedom in that sense." 

"Under those conditions for long bouts of time, it's not something that I'm going to definitely be looking forward to." 

Raonic wasn't that lucky against Medvedev 

On Friday, world No. 17 Raonic saved two consecutive match point in the third set tie-break to edge out home favorite Ugo Humbert and make the Paris Masters semifinal. 

Raonic broke back Medvedev in the 12th game of the second set to force a decider but the Russian kept his focus after failing to serve out for the match as he easily won the tie-break to get the job done in two sets.

"I wouldn't necessarily say that that match point is the way I want to be playing too many points that I saved in that long rally. But I just tried to stick with it as much as possible, tried to find a way through and got a bit fortunate, hit a few balls close to the line," Raonic said, per the ATP website.

"Today it turned my way, but I've just got to keep plugging away. Doesn't necessarily mean it always will, but at least give it a chance for it to turn around." 

After surviving a tough Humbert clash, 2016 Wimbledon runner-up Raonic spoke positively of the rising French star.

"The past few weeks he's played well. I think he just needs the consistency," Raonic said of Humbert. "He's not an easy guy to play, by any means. I think with maturity, and he's playing the right way, I think he can continue to move up much more." 



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/38lIHnS

No comments