Breaking News

Rafael Nadal: I think I'm not doing a lot of things bad

No. 1 seed Rafael Nadal thought he played well in the first set against Jordan Thompson but admitted he then failed to deliver the same level of play in the second. 

Thompson, ranked at No. 61 in the world, competed well against Nadal but still the Spaniard claimed a straight-set win 6-1 7-6 (3). 

"I think I played a good first set. A lot of good shots, good winners, serving well. And then in the second, [I] was not able to find a way to [get] the break," Nadal said, per the ATP website. "He started to serve very well, I think, and I missed a couple of returns that I could do better, I should do better."

Nadal saved a set point on his serve in the 12th game of the second set, before easily winning the tie-break.

"I think he increased a lot [his] level in the second set. He played well, so I give credit to him," Nadal said. "I only faced one break point with my serve during the whole match, but [it] was a set point, and a tough one. That's a positive thing with my serve. And on return I think I did it very well in the first and I could do it better in the second. I found a way.

"In the tie-break I saved a couple of break points. Second point of the tie-break had huge importance, too. [Reaching the] quarter-finals, that's the most important thing for me. I'm happy."

Nadal happy with his form at the Paris Masters 

Nadal also struggled a bit in his opener at Bercy but recovered from a set down against Feliciano Lopez to avoid a shock loss.

"I think I'm not doing a lot of things bad. I just didn't play indoors for a year almost, and it is part of the process of course. [...] I think these kind of matches helps. Tomorrow there is another opportunity," Nadal said of his form in Paris," per Nikolaus Fink.

Nadal plays next against Pablo Carreno Busta and he insists he won't be taking bus fellow compatriot for granted.

"He's always improving. He did semifinals I think in the US Open in 2017 already, and this year playing the semifinals again in New York and quarterfinals in Roland Garros. So, yeah, he's playing great," Nadal said of Carreno Busta.

Carreno Busta has slim chances of making the Nitto ATP Finals but he still holds hope.

"It's difficult for me to be in the Masters now. Diego has a lot of chances to be there. He plays really good this year. I'm happy for him because he will be the first time in London," Carreno Busta said, per Nikolaus Fink.

"As we know him, Pablo Carreno Busta will not give up - even if he'll face Rafael Nadal tomorrow: "Of course I will try until the end, but, you know, it not depends on me. Depends if he wins tomorrow or not, and then I have to win this tournament and Sofia." 



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/36dJwg1

No comments