Breaking News

Rafael Nadal optimistic ahead of Nitto ATP Finals despite Paris Masters loss

World No. 2 Rafael Nadal remains optimistic that he will enter the Nitto ATP Finals fully prepared and ready for the tournament despite a semifinal loss at the Paris Masters.

Nadal, seeded at No. 1 in the Paris Masters main draw, was aiming to lift his maiden title at Bercy this week but he fell short in his attempt after losing to Alexander Zverev in straight sets 6-4 7-5.

Nadal, who equaled Roger Federer on the all-time Grand Slam record list after winning the French Open, has surprisingly never made it all the way at the prestigious season-ending event.

"I said before have been not a bad tournament. I spent hours on court. Of course I wanted to win the tournament, but it's always difficult," Nadal insisted after losing to Zverev, per Nikolaus Fink. 

"To play four matches [...] will be helpful for London. I need to adjust a couple of things, but I'm doing well on all the important things, no? I have one week and a little bit more to keep working, and I hope be ready for it."

Nadal played his first indoor tournament of 2020 in Paris 

"I think I'm not doing a lot of things bad. I just didn't play indoors for a year almost, and it is part of the process of course. [...] I think these kind of matches helps. Tomorrow there is another opportunity," Nadal said of his form in Paris after beating Australian Jordan Thompson in the round-of-16.

Zverev had a great chance to break Nadal in the seventh game of the second set and open a double-break 5-2 lead but the Spaniard saved four break points and then so won the following two games to take a 5-4 lead in the second set. 

Blowing a 4-2 lead and four break points in the seventh game didn't affect Zverev as the German won three games in a row to win the second set and seal a straight-set win.

"I think I picked up my level at 4-5 down in the second set again and then it all went well," Zverev said. "I'm happy to be in the final."

"I had a lot of chances in the second set. I think at 4-2 I had a 0/40 game on his serve, which I didn't win. [In] those moments, the match can turn around, especially against Rafa. But I think I picked up my level at 4-5 down in the second set again and then it all went well. I'm happy to be in the final."



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3kfdNzU

No comments