Breaking News

Dominic Thiem: "I want to win a Major in 2021, that's my main goal'

Dominic Thiem entered the top-10 following a notable result at Roland Garros 2016, staying in the exclusive group ever since and becoming one of the Tour's most consistent players. After two Roland Garros semi-finals in 2016 and 2017, Dominic reached the final in 2018 and 2019, losing both to Rafael Nadal but gathering experience on the most notable tennis scene. The Austrian became the most dangerous rival of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic, scoring 16 victories over the world's best players and reducing the gap to them. Dominic barely missed the opportunity to win the ATP Finals crown in November 2019, starting all over this January and reaching the Australian Open final. Leading two sets to one against Novak Djokovic, Thiem had to settle with the runner-up prize in the end, bouncing back at the US Open in September to embrace a Major glory.

Trailing two sets to love versus Alexander Zverev, Thiem produced a remarkable comeback to prevail 3-2 and lift the first Major trophy at 27, joining an exclusive list of active players with one of four notable titles. Dominic lost an epic Roland Garros clash to Diego Schwartzman in over five hours, failing to reach the semis for the first time in five years in Paris and advancing into another ATP Finals title match, losing it to Daniil Medvedev. The Austrian will finish the season inside the top-3 for the first time, feeling excited with the way he performed and seeking more Major glory in 2021. 

Dominic Thiem has high goals ahead of 2021.

"Home again for the first time after many years. I will celebrate Christmas Eve with my family, and, in particular, I'm looking forward to seeing my little cousin Marie. We look back at an odd year, Corona caused global chaos, however, looking at it form an athlete's point of view 2020 was an excellent year for me. I started the season by reaching the final at the Australian Open, I finished the year by reaching the final at the Masters in London. But winning the title at the US Open in mid-September was the ultimate highlight. In New York I made a childhood dream come true, winning my first Grand Slam title – indescribable moments! There is one thing for sure: the nicest Christmas present for me is the US Open trophy. By the way trophy. I have had my "silver treasure "for only a few days in my living room – three months after winning the final against Alexander Zverev the trophy finally arrived in Austria.

The famous jeweler Tiffany on 5th Avenue in Manhattan made a perfect copy of the trophy, it was handed over to me by a special security service in Lichtenwoerth. What a show! I love this trophy, that's why I call my goal for 2021: I want to win another Grand Slam title, that's my number one priority. To become number one is also on top of my bucket list. However, winning another Major tournament almost means more to me in my personal ranking. Taking a break during the holidays? No way! On December 25 and 26 I will continue working on my physical fitness, after New Year's Eve I will play tennis more intensively. On January 13 I will fly to Melbourne, and during quarantine with strict regulations I will start the fine-tuning. Enjoy Christmas! I wish you all the best," Dominic Thiem said.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3prvMGr

No comments