Breaking News

'I was impressed that I could play against Roger Federer', says ATP star

Facing Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic is the dream of many players, enticed by the prospect of sharing the pitch with three of the best athletes of all ages. The Swiss and the Spanish are paired at 20 Slam titles, while the world number 1 is still at 17 after the clear defeat in the final at Roland Garros (in addition to the resounding disqualification at the US Open). 2020 was a complicated year especially for the 39-year-old from Basel, who underwent a double operation on his right knee that kept him stationary for most of the season. The date of his return is still uncertain, as Roger himself recently admitted at the Laureus Awards ceremony. In a lengthy interview with The Digest Web, Yoshihito Nishioka recalled his only direct confrontation with Roger Federer, which took place in the first round of the 2018 US Open. The Japanese, who was thrilled to challenge the Swiss legend, gave up with the score of 6-2 6-2 6-4 in a one-way match.

Nishioka on facing Roger Federer

"I was honestly happy," Yoshihito Nishioka said. "First of all, I was impressed that I could play against Roger Federer. Many people have had the impression that he was a perfect person, and when I entered the court, I was so nervous that I didn't know how to play for a long time." The 25-year-old also uttered some words of praise for World No. 2 Rafael Nadal. Nishioka recalled how he gave Nadal a tough fight during their ATP Cup encounter earlier this year, but admitted that the Spaniard's clutch play was too good. "When I played Nadal (at the ATP Cup), I had good tactics, I got some chances," Nishioka said. "But he won important points or games at the critical moment. That's the quality of top players." Federer’s last appearance at the Grand Slam was the Australian Open this year. The ‘Swiss Master’ made the semifinals of the Major before going down in straight sets to Serb Novak Djokovic. Surgery and the extended rehabilitation thereafter ruled Federer out of all events post the Australian Open. During the lockdown, like everyone, Federer spent most of his time being home. Finally, he had the time to spend with his family after all these years being on the move. Recently, he was asked if he had discovered anything new during this lockdown. “When I look back, I mainly see the organizational side. Otherwise, I knew what was going on in the family, but this time I was the active one,” Roger responded. “There was a lot more time because I wasn’t allowed to train that much. That’s why everything came together for me. I really like to do that.”



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2M05kFo

No comments