Breaking News

'I'm really looking forward to seeing how Roger Federer does it', says Top 10

The tennis world is looking forward to Roger Federer's return to the field next year. The Swiss phenomenon is absent from the circuit from the 2020 Australian Open, having undergone a double surgery on his right knee that caused him to close his season prematurely. Thanks to the new ranking system introduced to deal with the serious consequences of the global pandemic, the 20-time Grand Slam champion has kept a place in the Top 5. The former world number 1 is training in Dubai at this time, hoping to be able to return 100% in time for the start of the Australian Open. The 2021 edition of the Happy Slam will in fact take place from 8 to 21 February, so as to allow all players to travel to Australia and carry out the two weeks of mandatory quarantine. Andrey Rublev is looking forward to seeing Federer in action again. The current number 8 ATP won five titles in 2020, qualifying for the London ATP Finals for the first time in his career.

Rublev talks about Roger Federer's return

Andrey Rublev made the comments in an interview with Spanish daily MARCA. "I'm really looking forward to seeing how he (Roger Federer) does it," Rublev said. "Never in history has there been a case like Roger Federer and I want to see what happens because it can serve as an example for me. I also want to extend my career as long as possible. I don't see myself retiring at 30." Rublev went on to talk about Rafael Nadal's historic tally of 13 French Open titles, claiming that a record like that makes everyone else also aspire for greatness. The Russian played Nadal at the recent Nitto ATP Finals in London, but was beaten by the Spaniard in straight sets. "What comes to mind is that if someone is capable of winning a Grand Slam 13 times, you have to try to win it at least once," Rublev said. "I couldn't handle the pressure (playing Nadal at the ATP Finals)," he added. "When I showed my emotions from the beginning of the game, I knew that I was finished. I feel like I'm a top 10 guest," Rublev said. "To really feel like one of them, I have to find consistency and that means being in that position for a couple of years. It can be said that Thiem, Zverev or Medvedev have deserved to be there."



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2Jg7QWW

No comments