Breaking News

Kei Nishikori: Juan Martin del Potro can intimidate opponents with his forehand

Japanese tennis star Kei Nishikori has admitted that he still feels pressure at the Grand Slams as he hasn't yet achieved his goal of winning a maiden Major title.

Nishikori, who will turn 31 years of age at the end of this month, made his first and lone Grand Slam final at the US Open in 2014. 

Back then, the Japanese didn't impress at all as he delivered a poor performance and Croatian Marin Cilic ended up winning in straight sets and claiming his maiden Grand Slam title.

"I don't feel much pressure actually, from who should I feel pressure, I don't know. I sometimes feel pressure to win during a match for sure," Nishikori said, as revealed by Seiadoumogera.

"Yes I still haven't won Grand Slam, I have pressure about that, my coach always tells me about that too, but... If you try things right in front of you with all your might, have practice & training, and prepare yourself mentally, I believe victory will come as a result."

Nishikori hopes the Australian Open starts in February 

Nishikori, who underwent a season-ending elbow surgery in 2019, kicked off his 2020 season in September but he played only four tournament before suffering a season-ending shoulder injury. 

The Australian Open organizers suffered a major blow when the government said the players would not be allowed to enter the country in December. 

As of now, it seems that the start of the Australian Open will be pushed back for February.

"I'm still in rehab and told not to hit strong serve. I'm sure my shoulder will be completely healed to hit serve at full power by the end of the year, so I don't mind when the Australian Open starts, but it would be better for me if it's delayed to start in February," Nishikori noted.

Nishikori had an interesting claim about Juan Martin del Potro as he said: "Del Potro's forehand is my favorite, it's powerful, when I let him hit forehand, I feel scared, he can intimidate his opponents only with his forehand."

2014 US Open runner-up Nishikori also had some positive words about his coach Max Mirnyi.

"Max is very calm and stable, I've not got told off by him, he helps and guides me to find solution while Michael is passionate, he often tells me off especially after matches, like, 'why didn't you do that!?', (post-match meeting is) like a fistfight," Nishikori said.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3gh61oJ

No comments