Breaking News

Rafael Nadal: I didn't arrive to French Open insecure despite Rome loss

Spanish tennis superstar Rafael Nadal says he is trying to never get too high on some of his victories but he also never gets too down after some disappointing losses. 

Nadal, ranked at No. 2 in the world, equaled Roger Federer on the all-time Grand Slam record list after winning a record 13th French Open title.

A month later, Nadal was aiming to win his maiden Nitto ATP Finals title but he fell short in his attempt. 

The Spaniard's campaign at The O2 Arena came to an end on a disappointing way as he failed to serve out for the match against Daniil Medvedev in the semifinal.

"Victory or defeat are our daily life. You have to accept them both as they are. I’m not that excited when things are going well and not that destroyed when things go bad. I am in the middle of it all and I’m sure this emotional stability is a great help in our sport," Nadal said during his appearance on El Hormiguero, as revealed on Tennis Majors.

"When I lose, yes, it’s negative, yes, it’s sadness, but I’ll be truthful with you: I live every day with the feeling I might lose. Some players win more than they lose but the inner feeling of a player, mine at least, is that I don’t know if I’m going to win. I am confident but failure is there as a possibility

"So when I lose, that’s the way it is and life is continuing. When I lose, the bad feeling doesn’t last that long. Once you have done the press conference and the debrief with the team, you’re focused on the future and the solutions."

Nadal didn't feel insecure after losing at the Rome Masters 

Nadal kicked off his season restart in Rome, where he suffered a shock quarterfinal loss to Diego Schwartzman. 

Many thought this would be the year Nadal loses at the French Open but that didn't happen as the Spaniard won the title without dropping a set.

"You don’t necessarily feel less secure after a loss. For example when I lost in Rome (vs. Schwartzman) after several months without competition, I knew defeat was more or less inevitable at some point. But it didn’t bring uncertainty before Roland-Garros, not really," Nadal claimed.

"But if you lose week after week, a second round here, a quarter-final there, and you happen not to play that much because you are losing, you don’t win anything for a long time, that can lead you to feel insecure.

"What a life ? I feel we have a wonderful life."



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/37BWip7

No comments