Breaking News

Stan Wawrinka on Roger Federer: We are real friends

Swiss tennis star Stan Wawrinka says he and fellow compatriot Roger Federer have "been through so much together" and they are "real friends."

Wawrinka, 35, has made a fantastic career for himself on the Tour but he has always been in the shadow of record 20-time Grand Slam champion Federer.

Three-time Grand Slam champion Wawrinka and Federer have had some big battles on the court but off the court they have a great relationship.

"We've been through so much together, we're real friends, even though our lives are very different and busy. Everything we have shared binds us forever," Wawrinka said of his relationship with Federer.

Meanwhile, recently Japanese tennis stars Kei Nishikori and Yoshihito Nishioka spoke positively of 39-year-old Federer.

Nishikori, the 2014 US Open runner-up, says meeting Federer on the court is something he always looks forward and he enjoys the challenge of taking on one of the best in tennis history.

"It's fun to play against strong players like Federer or Nadal, that motivates me, I always enjoy that challenge," Nishikori admitted.

Meanwhile, Nishioka suffered a 6-2 6-2 6-4 loss to Federer in their lone meeting that came at the US Open in 2018. 

"I got emotional when I played Federer, I was overwhelmed and got nervous on the court, I didn't know how to play," Nishioka revealed.

Federer hopes to play the Australian Open 

Federer underwent two knee surgeries this year and he is hoping to be ready for the Australian Open, that starts in early February.

"I would love to be in Australia. But it will be very tight with my knee. I don't want to take the next step until I'm ready. These 3 weeks might help me a bit. The summer with Wimbledon, the Olympics and the US Open is my priority," Federer said recently.

Federer's coach Ivan Ljubicic provided a positive update recently.

"He is in the recovery phase and I would say that things are going in the best way," Federer's coach Ivan Ljubicic said in an interview with website OKtennis.it last month.

"He trains more and more and better and better, I'm curious to see how much we will be able to push in the coming months. 

"I certainly can't tell today what we will do in April. I know we want to leave as soon as possible, play a big Australian Open and then evaluate step by step.

"It is important to go step by step and observe rest periods. As we have always done." 



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2KOFl33

No comments