Breaking News

US Open and Wimbledon winners split after 7 years: “We see the future differently”

One of the strongest doubles teams in the ATP Tour, formed by Horia Tecau and Jean-Julien Rojer, split apart after 7 years of competing shoulder to shoulder and winning two Grand Slam tournaments, Wimbledon (2015) and US Open (2017). The Romanian member of the duo opened up on their decision in an interview for Digi Sport.

“A soul partnership… Jules is family for me after 7 years spent together. We’ve reached a moment in which our schedules are a little different. We see the future a bit differently. I’ve reached a point where I’m unable to play a full calendar of tournaments, 26-28 weeks a year. I couldn’t confirm this thing to Jules, he wants to play a complete calendar. I want to allocate some time in other directions as well, stay a little more at home, play less. This was what I explained to Jules” Tecau said to Jules.

Tecau tested positive for COVID-19

About a week before he made the announcement, Horia Tecau stepped forward on social media, where he let his fans know that he has been infected with COVID-19.

Following a routine check-up, I tested positive for Covid-19. I don't have any symptoms, but I strongly encourage anyone who has been close to me in the past few days to get tested. For now, I will self-isolate until I can get another test done. Stay safe, everyone!”, Tecau wrote on Facebook.

Rojer’s new teammate

Horia Tecau’s former partner, Jean-Julien “Jules” Rojer, will join forces with Brazilian Marcelo Melo, former world number one and two-time Grand Slam winner, as confirmed by Tecau in the Digi Sport interview.

Tecau and Rojer’s highlights are the conquerings of the 2015 Wimbledon (defeated Jamie Murray and John Peers in the final) and the 2017 US Open (defeated Feliciano Lopez and Marc Lopez). One of the latest adventures of Horia Tecau and Jean-Julien Rojer happened in Rotterdam, where they easily dismantled a promising team formed of Stefanos Tsitsipas and Nenad Zimonjic, to make it until the quarter-finals. They bowed down in the face of Rohan Bopanna / Denis Shapovalov. 

Read more about Tecau: see what he said about the time when he meet Roger Federer.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3lo77jt

No comments