Breaking News

'Without Roger Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, tennis wouldn’t be where...', says ATP ace

The absolute domination of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic over the past 15 years has brought tennis into a new era of splendor, but at the same time has prevented numerous excellent players from winning what they deserved. Suffice it to say that a champion like Dominic Thiem had to wait for the US Open 2020 to become the first player born in the 90s to win a Grand Slam. The Austrian also took advantage of the absences of Federer and Nadal in New York, in addition to the sensational disqualification remedied by world number 1 Djokovic. Although he is aware that he will never have the success of the Big 3, Frenchman Benoit Paire still believes he is a champion of the sport. The transalpine currently occupies 28th place in the ATP ranking, but in his best period he has reached number 18. Although he has never reached the very top positions and is best known for his unconventional attitudes, Paire is proud of his career and results achieved. In a long interview with 'Racquet' magazine, the veteran from Avignon expressed some interesting considerations on his approach to sport and life.

Paire reflects on the Big 3

"I admire them (Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic) enormously, but I will never be like them," Benoit Paire said. "That doesn’t stop me from considering myself a champion. I was 18th in the world, I’ve been in the top 100 for 10 years, and I have three ATP titles: that’s a perfectly good career. Besides, my ex would tell me often enough: 'You’re a champion. You play in the biggest tournaments in the world, against the best players in the world'." Paire even joked that if he himself ever won Roland Garros, he would end his season right there. "I respect them a lot and I think what they do and how invested they are is amazing," Paire said. "But damn, when I see Rafa win the French and two days later he’s training at Queen’s for the grass-court season… It’s a different world! If I won the French I don’t know if I’d go to Queen’s or even to Wimbledon. Actually, I think I’d end my season there! They are champions. Without them, tennis wouldn’t be where it is today." Winning a record 13 titles at Roland-Garros, Rafa achieved that in the most incredible since. Leaving 2009, 2015, and 2016, the Spaniard has won every year from 2005 till 2020.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3rg6eh2

No comments