Breaking News

Andy Murray: 'I'm ready to chase victories again'

Andy Murray claimed the only Rotterdam crown in 2009 following a win over Rafael Nadal in the title match. Twelve years later, Andy will compete at the famous ATP 500 event after four consecutive Tour losses, seeking his first triumph since the last year's US Open against Robin Haase on Monday night. The three-time Major champion had to deal with numerous setbacks in the previous four years, stepping down from the ATP throne and undergoing two hip surgeries to extend his career and play competitive tennis again. The Briton claimed an ATP title at the end of 2019, just a couple of weeks before another setback at the Davis Cup Finals that forced him to stay away from the action until the last August! After a couple of wins following the season's restart, Murray lost three straight matches to finish the year, working hard during the off-season and preparing for 2021. Andy tested positive for the coronavirus just before the trip to Australia, losing a couple of more weeks and slowly getting back in the previous month. Murray would love to hit the winning road again as soon as possible and chase victories, starting from Rotterdam.

"I'm pumped to be back competing again. Physically I feel good, which is the most important thing. The next most important thing for me is to play matches and get back on the winning way. The coronavirus was more mental, to be honest, than physical. It affects your tennis a bit because it came at the end of a long training block. I'd trained hard for ten weeks and felt good, and then I wasn't allowed to do anything. I couldn't leave the house; that affects both the physical and mental side. I've missed quite many big tournaments in recent years with injury and stuff, and then that happened. I was disappointed.

Andy Murray is eager to fight for victories in the upcoming weeks.

It's still something that I'm probably getting over a bit from the disappointment and the mental side of things, but physically I feel good. It was 12 years ago when I won Rotterdam and 13 since I played Robin. A lot has changed since then. I like it a lot here; they've changed the whole setup. It's a shame that the fans aren't here, but I think they've done a great job with the center court. They've made a real effort to create an atmosphere that is difficult just now without the fans. Considering the circumstances, they've done a nice job for the players, and big thanks to everyone involved. I want to try and get matches, but I need to focus on the first one and get through that.

I've played Robin a few times on Tour; we know each other pretty well. We've had some tough matches in big tournaments, and he's a talented guy with a big game. My focus is on that and trying to take each day as it comes just now. When you haven't played loads, you go into these matches, and it's not the same as it was four, five years ago when you were playing five, six matches a week, and you were used to that. I haven't played much, and I need to build my confidence and get some wins back," Andy Murray said.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2NNNJSh

No comments