Breaking News

Novak Djokovic: 'I was impatient, especially in the second set'

Kicking off the season ranked 16th, Novak Djokovic won the Adelaide title for the best opener of the 2007 campaign. At the Australian Open, Novak lost to Roger Federer and regained his composure in March, advancing into the first Masters 1000 final in Indian Wells. Rafael Nadal proved to be too strong for Novak in the desert, but there was no one to stop the Serb in Miami, wewre Novak toppled Nadal, Andy Murray and Guillermo Canas en route to his first Masters 1000 crown at 19. With no time for rest, Novak went back home to Serbia and led his country against Georgia on an indoor carpet court, dropping one game against an unranked rival and preparing for the start of the clay swing in Monte Carlo.

In his season's opening match on the slowest surface, Djokovic defeated a former Roland Garros champion Gaston Gaudio 6-1, 3-6, 6-1 in an hour and 42 minutes for a place in the third round. Novak won 55% of the return points to control the pace and dominated sets one and three for the 13th victory in the last 14 encounters. Gaudio grabbed four breaks, which wasn't enough to keep him safe, giving serve away seven times to propel Djokovic over the top. Spraying more errors in set number two, Novak lost the ground for a couple of games before fending off a break chance at the beginning of the third with an ace and never looking back to seal the deal in style. 

Novak Djokovic defeated Gaston Gaudio in Monte Carlo 2007 in three sets.

"It was a difficult match, playing on clay for the first time this season. I have to be focused and find the right balance on clay; I hope it would come with more matches. It was essential to deliver a hold at the beginning of the decider and take momentum from my rival. Gaudio prefers to play on the slowest surface, and I knew I had to stay in touch in the early stages of the third set. I did that, and the rest was a routine for me. I played with a lot of confidence and brought the match home. I was a bit impatient today, especially in the second set. I was looking for winners from every position on the court, and you can't do that on clay. I'm still trying to get used to the surface, and I hope for a better match in the next round. Gaston won Roland Garros title a couple of years ago, and he is always dangerous on clay, despite the lack of form. I knew I had to dictate the pace and control the rallies against him," Novak Djokovic said. 



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2QXEeBs

No comments