Breaking News

Andrey Rublev explains importance of 2019 Cincinnati win over Roger Federer

Russian tennis star Andrey Rublev, 23, acknowledged that the win over Roger Federer at the Cincinnati Masters in 2019 meant a lot to him. 

In 2019, Rublev handed a straight-set defeat to 20-time Grand Slam champion Federer in the Cincinnati round-of-16. 

Two years later, Rublev is one of the best players on the Tour and a contender for titles at the biggest events. 

"Two years ago, is like I think the importance of that win was because that match I played like a perfect match. Let's say my mood was perfect. The mental part was perfect," Rublev said, when asked about the importance of his win over Federer in Cincinnati. 

"And the way I played, I think it's like they show me what can I achieve if I will work hard and I will do everything right, that these kind of mood I can achieve.

"And then, after that match, then it's like, Okay, we show you if you will work hard what can happen, so now go and do it and then bring me back to my normal, you know, mood and level, because I think next day I lost to Daniil maybe 6-2, 6-2 without any chance, already complaining, doing some stupid things."

Rublev now confident in his chances against every player 

"Now, after two years, I can see that more often and often happens that I'm playing with this kind of mood like I played two years ago with Roger. Now, if with Roger happens only once, now happens already couple of times like in maybe, I don't know, every couple of times in couple of tournaments, you know, it's happening now," Rublev noted. 

After beating Federer in the Cincinnati round-of-16, Rublev lost to Daniil Medvedev in the quarterfinal. 

This year, Rublev made his maiden Cincinnati final after beating world No. 2 Medvedev in the semifinal. 

Unfortunately for Rublev, he stood no chance against Alexander Zverev in the final as the German won 6-2 6-3.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3sKmMPu

No comments