Breaking News

Andy Murray gives honest thoughts on his level

Former world No. 1 Andy Murray was a bit disappointed that he failed to capitalize on his chances against Frances Tiafoe at the Winston-Salem Open. 

Murray, now ranked at No. 114 in the world, had his chances against Tiafoe but he ended up losing in straight sets as the American won 7-6 (4) 6-3. 

Murray hasn't been ranked inside the top-50 for a long time but he believes his level is "around 50 or 60 in the world."

"The positive thing is that I moved well and served well but my level is up and down with no real consistency,” Murray said, per the ATP website. “There are moments in matches where I play well and then I make mistakes or miss returns. I wish I wasn't doing that.

"My level is around 50 or 60 in the world. It's frustrating because if wasn't moving great and not feeling good physically then I would be a bit easier on myself. But when I'm winning a low percentage of second-serve points, that's got nothing to do with the physical side of things.”

Murray paid the price for missed out chances 

Murray saved three break points in the seventh game and more break point in the ninth game to take a 5-4 first set lead. 

After saving a total of four break points, Murray had three set points on Tiafoe's serve in the 10th game but failed to convert. 

Murray paid the price for failing to convert any of his three break points chances in the 10th game as Tiafoe realized his first set point in the tie-break to win a tight opener. 

Tiafoe then made a furious start to the second set, having claimed two early breaks to take a 5-1 lead. 

Murray got one break back and reduced the deficit to 5-3 but that was all as Tiafoe served out for the match in the ninth game. 

Murray will now focus on his US Open campaign.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2Wo8EPU

No comments