Breaking News

Being a black woman influences my position in society: Serena Williams

In an interview to GQ Magazine, Serena Williams remarked that she was not treated equally as other women or men. Recalling the US Open final loss to Naomi Osaka, Serena said: 'I'm a black woman… my limit (of acceptance in society) is way lower. And that’s where we stand right now in this world. And it’s a fact. It’s literally a fact… You don’t accept it. You talk about it like I have. You make it better for the next generation.’

Serena was disqualified from the 2009 US Open semi-finals against Kim Clijsters for her bad behavior. ‘I’ve had a lot of things happen to me at the U.S. Open. I think about three or four different things', she said. 'Especially in the later rounds. I think a person can be a little bit more sensitive to anything in that moment. You know, it becomes a trigger moment. When you go through a really extreme ordeal not once, not twice, not three times, it becomes a trigger moment.’

Serena finally concluded: ‘That was where a lot of people don’t understand. That’s where I was coming from. Like, usually you talk to me, tell me that something’s happening, and I’ll tell my box, like, whatever you’re doing, don’t. First, I can’t see you – I’m clear on the other side of the court. Second, don’t do it. We’re here to win or to lose with dignity, and that’s how I’ve always done my career.’

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2SdhVU1

No comments