Breaking News

David Goffin: Roger Federer will still be at the top in 2019

David Goffin returned to Belgium on Tuesday after training in Monte Carlo for five weeks and for a week in Tenerife. The Belgian player will start his 2019 season at the Qatar Exxon Mobil Open in Doha prior to the Australian Open, after ending his 2018 year in due to an edema on his right elbow injury. 'It took almost six-week rest to heal, but now this physical problem is behind me,' Goffin explained. 'It was difficult not to be able to play the final part of the season, but on the other side it allowed me to have a real preparation, and I will use it a strength during the year. I am really of this preparation where I worked on fitness and then tennis. I could train again, which pleases me after a 2018 season influenced by injuries (eye accident in February, then an edema in his elbow since July).'

Goffin starts the new season as the world no. 22, which is much lower than the seventh place he reached a year ago. 'We will see how everything will fall back in place, but what's sure is that I did everything to be back at 100 percent. The matches rhythm lacks, but now I am looking forward to compete again,' Goffin added.

Speaking about the 2019 season in general, Goffin concluded: 'A strong generation is coming, they are starting to be a part of the absolute top. But in that group of players I have still my place. Djokovic dominated the second part of the year. Federer may not be able to shine for an entire year, but he is still there in the best moments. And who beats Nadal on clay? And Andy Murray may be in the mix as well. The 2019 will be very interesting,' Goffin told Nieuwsblad.

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2GHOgRe

No comments