Breaking News

Novak Djokovic: 'I suffered a lot for my 2016 Olympics loss'

In an interview to Globo Esporte, Novak Djokovic recalled his feelings at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. The Serbian player lost to Juan Martin del Potro in a straight set opening round match and left the court in tears. Djokovic was starting to feel pain on his elbow that would force him to stop competing for six months in the second half of 2017. 'Every time I remember it I get very emotional for two reasons', said Djokovic. 'The first one is the connection I felt with the Brazilian people. I will never forget it. It was one of the best moments I have ever lived in my life and one of the most painful ones. The other one is that I was heading into the Olympic Games as the world No. 1, I had won the last four Grand Slams, I was playing the best tennis of my life and I felt so well.

I knew it was my chance, the chance I was waiting for... It did not happen, I lost to del Potro, a guy I love. And then I understood what was happening. I was so happy because he reached the final and won the silver medal. I think that God brings this kind of experience because we need to learn, understand, grow. And accepting it as most as possible. And I accepted, I went forward, I knew it had ti happen and I suffered about it for a long time because it was the most important time in my career and I wanted to fight for the medal in Rio, it would have been perfect. The next Olympics is in Japan and it will be hard, I love playing tennis and I hope to do well. I hope to have a lot of Brazilian fans there!'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2EVj1jr

No comments