Breaking News

Gabriella Da Silva:'I like the way Dominic Thiem and Denis Shapovalov play'

New South Wales native Gabriella Da Silva Fick has been the player to beat so far at the Australian U18 Junior Championships, reaching the final after a 6-3 6-0 triumph over Taylah Lawless in the semi-final, moving a win away from becoming the national champion. The 18-year-old is performing in her final junior tournament in a career and she never made an impact on the ITF junior ranking, staying away from the top-200 and never winning the title on that level. Gabriella has entered the Top 800 on the WTA ranking list after reaching the semi-final at $15,000 Oeiras event and a recent win at the $25,000 Brisbane tournament over Nagi Hanatani. Gabriella has some big goals in her career, to crack the top-10 and win a Major, also mentioning her favorite players and role models:

”Dad was a professional golfer and mum was a basketballer. After going to a camp in Homebush I got an email from Tennis Australia saying I have good physical ability for tennis, so would I be interested in learning to play? I was playing serious basketball, but then I won 12s clay-court nationals and that was kind of it for me. My parents were like, ‘Whatever you want to do, we're going to back you.’ I really like how you're on your own out there. It's one-on-one combat, and I enjoy that physical and mental battle. My coach, Andrea Stoltenberg, has really taught me to understand tennis mentally and tactically. I like Dominic Thiem and Denis Shapovalov – the way they play physically and their mental attitude. I probably base my game a little bit around theirs as well. I want to win Grand Slams and be top 10, but I think playing that level and getting those good results week in, week out, consistently, would be my biggest goal,” said Da Silva Fick.

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2EaPW2L

No comments