Breaking News

King: Even Serena Williams said her US Open behaviour wasn't appropriate

In an interview to Straits Times, the WTA Founder Billie Jean King commented on Serena Williams's controversial behaviour during the US Open final against Naomi Osaka earlier this year in New York.'I've talked to Serena and she agrees she was not appropriate, she knew that', admitted King.

'The umpire had a very low emotional IQ and emotional IQ is really important if you're going to be an umpire to me. That means understanding human nature and understanding the person. But when you attack somebody's honesty, especially with Venus and Serena, who I've known since they were nine and 10 years old. She saw red, she couldn't see straight after that. That's what she felt he had done. Now I don't know if he did it or not I couldn't quite hear it right... But the point is both were wrong but it goes deep. They've done all kinds of data on black women and anger issues. People cannot stand to see women of colour get upset. So that's happening and what he needed to do because she kept saying, 'I want you to apologise'. All he had to do was say to her, 'I'm not attacking your honesty'. That's not apologising but he's saying what's in his mind. Just clarify it, 'I am not attacking.' That would've been so helpful. And the whole time this was happening, I am going, 'Please just tell her you're not attacking her honesty'. 'Please, please,' you know I'm thinking out loud."

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2LmZv0m

No comments