Breaking News

Maria Sharapova recalls how her off-court life changed after 2004 Wimbledon

Maria Sharapova knows what it means to have success at a very young age, as she won her maiden Grand Slam title at 2004 Wimbledon defeating an already very good player, who would eventually become a legend, like Serena Williams. 'A lot of players are always aware of what, you know, the generation that is ahead of them has done and what they achieved and how they went through it', said Sharapova. 'I have always said that when I achieved my success, my biggest success at 17 years old, I thought that I ‑‑it was very tough to lose a match, because it's such a huge victory and you think you're on top of the world, and all of a sudden you're pulled in so many different directions. You're photographed by Vogue and you have all these incredible opportunities. You get to wear pretty dresses and Marc Jacobs lent me a dress and it was the biggest deal in my life. I didn't know what Sports Illustrated, the magazine, was, but I knew who Marc Jacobs was. It's so many different things that you're able to do. And at the end of the day, you've got to get back to your roots and what's important, and that's what brought you those things. That's the tennis. That's what ultimately makes you happier than anything else.'

Sharapova also spoke about why she is a better player now: 'You know your strengths. You know what's won you matches before, what's won you Grand Slams. You know what's gotten you to the top. I don't think necessarily all those things if you repeat them the same way, will maybe get you the same result because everything always changes. You have to adapt to whatever comes your way. Not one day is ever the same, not one match is ever the same. You have some good ones, some disappointing ones. But, yeah, you stick to what you do best.'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title 

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2PrmZC0

No comments