Breaking News

My body is not like when I was 20 years old, says Maria Sharapova

For Maria Sharapova, being competitive and playing at the highest level will be the key to stay on the Tour as long as possible. 'It's difficult when you've tasted such great success and when you have expected yourself to be in later stages of tournaments on a consistent basis', Sharapova said. 'It's challenging as a professional athlete when you've been at the top and you've experienced greatness, to kind of see yourself fall down a little bit and just think that, Oh, it's okay if I'm in the third or fourth round. Of course, it's okay maybe when you've battled things and you've gotten through things to get yourself in a position to play professional tennis.

Of course in a big perspective, that's pretty incredible. But overall, when you've had that feeling of winning and losing on a weekly basis to maybe players you expect to beat, it's tough. Then your body is not exactly as it was when you're in your early 20s or teenage years. Then it all comes together. You're like, There are other things in life, as well.'

Sharapova also spoke about her origins: 'When I was born, I was born in Siberia. When I was two, I moved to Sochi. When I was six, I moved to Florida. About Siberia, I have no idea. About Sochi, a few things in there that -- I mean, I remember it being really nice because I was playing tennis and I was sort of enjoying myself, didn't do a lot of schoolwork. I was really young. What is there to really think about when you're six years old?'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2Enhq6a

No comments