Breaking News

Retirement from tennis is like death for some players, says Jim Courier

Jim Courier is a former world No. 1, he achieved a lot of success in tennis but he kept being active on the Tour also after his retirement working as a TV commentator and on-court interviewer at the Australian Open. Courier was asked by The Age if retiring from tennis may be like being dead. 'For some of my peers, it did feel like that, but not for me', said Courier. 'It felt like a new beginning. I'd put aside many things – going skiing, seeing bands I liked, picking up a basketball – that wasn't advisable for a tennis pro. Now there was an opportunity for me to explore.'

Asked what made him not to "die" after tennis, Courier replied: 'Possibly curiosity. I'm interested in other things. As tennis people, we have opportunities to travel the world, so I never thought I was just going back to the life I lived before I left home. For some people, that's all they ever want. They don't like being on the road; they just want to be home. For me, curiosity led me to more happiness.'

Asked if he considers himself rich, Courier said: 'Absolutely. I have a healthy family, I'm loved by a lot of people and get to love a lot of people. And I've been overpaid for years. I'd read a lot of horror stories about people who had a lot of opportunities, didn't take care of their money and ended up having regrets. My family are conservative financially, and that's certainly been ingrained in me. So from a young age, I had experts to help me, because I'm not a financial manager; I'm a tennis player. So I live within my means.'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title 

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2BZuM6k

No comments