Breaking News

Thiem Quips: I hope some day Federer, Nadal and Djokovic stop dominating

In an interview to La Tercera, Dominic Thiem commented on the Big three's - Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic - dominance. This year the Austrian player reached his maiden Grand Slam final at the French Open losing to Nadal. Thiem admitted, 'I hope that they stop dominating some day. And, I hope that the younger players can (achieve a lot). But, obviously, they are great champions. The best champions of the sport in general and, certainly, the best generation of players we have had in the circuit.' 

Thiem also previewed the Davis Cup qualifying tie that he will play for Austria at home against Chile in February 2019: 'The Austrian fans expect us to win the tie, but it will be difficult. Everyone knows how dangerous Nicolas Jarry is. He can beat any player in the world. Christian Garin is improving consistently. He won the French Open junior title, which shows how big his potential is. And of course we know Hans Podlipnik Castillo in Austria.'

Asked who is the trickier player in the Chilean team, Jarry replied: 'Nicolas Jarry. He is the most important player for Chilean tennis.'

Jarry defeated Thiem at the German Open quarter-finals in Hamburg: 'I did not play my best match of the year, but Nicolas's intensity was impressive.'

Thiem has been the last player to defeat Nadal on clay, at the 2018 Madrid Open. 'It's an unbelievable honor. It makes me proud and it motivates me.'

Thiem also backed the new Davis Cup format: 'I think it's much easier for the best players to play it. And I hope the new finals will be a world class event. I hope Austria will qualify.'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2ErGRUo

No comments