Breaking News

Andy Murray news made me have a knot in my stomach, says Simona Halep

Simona Halep revealed what her feelings were when she learned of Andy Murray's retirement from tennis. In a pre-tournament press conference at the Australian Open, Halep said: 'I had a knot in my stomach. It's not easy to see a great player retiring because of the injuries actually. He was struggling a lot these years. I always admired him. I had a chance to talk to him few times because of Darren. He's a great person. A little bit crazy on court, but I like that because I'm similar (smiling). He did everything he could. He worked so hard in the gym, as well. It's really sad that the tour, it will miss him because for sure we will miss him. It's tough to see a great champion retiring. But life goes on and I'm sure he's happy.'

On her physical condition, Halep, who dealt with a back issue for a long time, added: 'I was 100% in the last match. I feel okay. I feel healthy. But you never know with the back. So we will see.'

Recalling her 2018 Australian Open final loss to Caroline Wozniacki, Halep concluded: 'I didn't want to think that much about that match because was really painful to lose it. But I learned some things from that match. That break broke me a little bit that moment. Now I know how to manage better if that happens again. She was better at that moment and maybe fresher than me because I played so many long matches before. She was actually less tired than me. She deserved to win that match. She was stronger. I was not very upset about that, I just gave everything I had, and that was my limit in that match.'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2ALvfYW

No comments