Breaking News

Andy Murray not overcoming injury is tragic, says Cameron Norrie

In an interview at the ASB Classic in Auckland, Cameron Norrie commented on Andy Murray's upcoming retirement from tennis. Norrie was obviously shocked and surprised to hear about it. "He's such a phenomenal player and it's pretty tragic that he can't overcome his injury. He's such an icon for British tennis. Living in London, he was always good to me, practiced with me and I learned a lot from him," said Norrie.

He added: "It's pretty surreal really. To be around this tournament a lot - I respected the guys so much - and thinking 'wow, I'd love to be doing that but [thought] there's no chance I'd be able to do it'. So to prove to myself that I'm good enough to be at this level and beat guys at the top of the game. Especially on such a big stage in front of so many people that have seen me grow up and progress as a player, it means so much to me."

In an interview, the commentator Mark Petchey commented on Murray's retirement from tennis. Petchey praised the three-time Grand Slam winner's fighting spirit and mentality. “Never motivated by money, only by his rivals; he didn’t need people’s respect, but he earned it," Petchey said. "He was a kaleidoscope of talent, of emotion, of movement, spirit and authenticity. He was a winner, but he became a champion. A champion not just on the court but a champion of causes off it. He leaves as he arrived. Tennis never changed him, but he changed tennis.”

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2HkFQQq

No comments