Breaking News

Andy Murray plans to retire at Wimbledon

Former world No. 1 Andy Murray has announced that he is planning to retire from the game at Wimbledon. 

The 31-year-old has a "severely damaged right hip."

Murray returned to competitive action from a hip surgery at the Fever-Tree Championships in Queen's last June. 

The three-time Grand Slam champion has tried everything to get his right hip fully healthy and play for a couple of more years but unfortunately his hip will never be the same. 

When asked about his hip at Melbourne Park, an emotional Murray walked out of the press conference in tears. 

The following quotes as revealed on Twitter by George Bellshaw of Metro UK. 

"Not feeling good. Obviously been struggling for a long time and been in a lot of pain for probably about 20 months now. I've pretty much done everything that I could to try and get my hip feeling better and it hasn't helped loads," Murray said when he returned to the press room. 

"I'm in a better place than I was 12 months ago but I'm still in a lot of pain." 

Five-time Australian Open runner-up Murray has confirmed that he will play at Melbourne Park next week -- where he is due to meet Roberto Bautista Agut in the first round. 

'Yes, I'm going to play. I can still play to a level, not a level I'm happy playing at. The pain is too much really, it's not something I want to continue playing that way," Murray said. 

"I tried everything I could to get it right, it hasn't worked. My plan is kind of middle to end of December in my training block, I spoke to my team and told them I can't keep doing it." 

Murray hopes to call it a career it at The All England Club but admits his retirement may come sooner. 

"I need to have an end point because I'm just playing with no idea of when the pain will stop. Making that decision, I think I can get through to this at Wimbledon, that's when I'd like to stop playing. I'm also not certain I'm able to do that," Murray said. 

''There's a chance of that (Australian Open being my last tournament), yeah, for sure. I'm not sure I'm able to play through the pain for another four or five months."

Also read: Nick Kyrgios: I don't think there has ever been player like Bernard Tomic

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2FtEfoT

No comments