Breaking News

Andy Murray's retirement is shocking for me, says Novak Djokovic

Novak Djokovic did not know anything about Andy Murray announcing retirement from tennis. The Serbian player was attending an Asics event on Friday in Melbourne when he was asked to comment on the unbelievable news. "It's quite a shock for me because we're the same age, same generation and it's sad to see him going through what he has gone through in the last couple of years with his injuries", said Djokovic. "As someone who has been through a major injury with my elbow, I can definitely empathize with him and relate to what he's going through. Obviously, the extent of his injuries is even worse than mine."

Djokovic added: "Since I was 11 or 12 years old we know each other and we've been rivals. We've played some epic matches all over the world and it's kind of sad to know that he will play his last Australian Open but I do wish him all the best. He's a great champion."

Djokovic heads into the Australian Open as the favourite according to several experts. The Serb could face Alexander Zverev in the semifinals and then Roger Federer or Novak Djokovic in the final. Speaking during an Asics event, Djokovic said: "It's a two-week long event and I don't want this to sound like a cliché but it really is true, you just try to focus all your thoughts on your next opponent and try to start off well. Obviously, I know what my draw looks like, potentially. If I get to the final and I get to play [Federer or Nadal] I will be very happy."

Djokovic also spoke about how it feels to play in the DownUnder region again: "I come in with a lot of good energy and I'm inspired to play my best. This is the place where you try to kickstart the year in the best possible way. I have only the most wonderful memories from Rod Laver Arena and the Australian Open in general. My first grand slam win back in 2008 served as a great springboard and confidence booster for my career."

ALSO READ: Roger Federer adds new tournament to February 2019 schedule!

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2Rstudi

No comments