Breaking News

David Ferrer disappointed for not finishing Auckland run

David Ferrer's run at the ASB Classic in Auckland ended on Wednesday as the veteran Spaniard retired after playing just three games against his compatriot Pablo Carreno Busta. Ferrer suffered a calf injury, and after the match he said: "I'm disappointed I can't finish my last match here in Auckland. But anyway, I am positive because I played here 14 years, I have very good memories and the people supported me a lot. Now I'm disappointed but I'm sure that tomorrow, next week, I will appreciate everything the people did for me [over] these years."

Ferrer first made his appearance in Auckland in 2003 and he was seeking an impressive fifth title there. He felt extremely sorry for not being able to continue his match: "I tried because it's a very important tournament for me, it's the last one that I will play. I tried everything but I [couldn't]. It's strange because last week I played long matches and my fitness was good. Yesterday I also played really good and I was playing with confidence against Pablo Sometimes it's only bad luck."

Ferrer gave his farewell to Auckland by a ceremony, which he called as something "very emotional and impressive". "I thought that this is my best trophy, that the people enjoy watching me play tennis. They appreciate me a lot and I will have them in my heart."

ALSO READ: Roger Federer adds new tournament to February 2019 schedule!

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2H9kaGH

No comments